On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 4:00 AM, Kent R. Spillner <kspill...@acm.org> wrote:
> I notice a lot of people have suggested "use an emulator," as if that had
> never occurred to the OpenBSD developers before, but nobody has volunteered
> to verify that the available emulators are good enough to actually replace
> real hardware.
>
> Also, I don't understand why anyone thinks emulation would reduce the power
> bill.  Even assuming the OpenBSD developers were interested in using
> emulators it's not like they're just going to install one and then power down
> the old machines.  The old hardware would still run while they're validating
> the emulators, and that process would probably take a really long time.  So
> there's no potential cost savings for a really long time, and in the meantime
> some of the devs are now distracted from actually working on OpenBSD because
> they're so busy verifying the accuracy of the emulators.

Disclaimer:  I'm loathe to comment because I'm fairly ignorant and
late to the OpenBSD party (I've been a user for about 7 years and have
purchased about 5 or 6 CD's and two T-shirts that I can account for).
I volunteered at SCaLE a number of years ago at the OpenBSD booth and
hope to do that again next month.  I just made a donation of an amount
that I could afford to make today.  Against my better judgement, I
will proceed with my input.

1) I don't want the OpenBSD project to change anything - that includes
the way it develops for platforms and the way it raises funds.  My
belief (not proven) is that the intransigent nature of the project and
its personalities yields the operating system that I want - less is
more, beholden to no one, truly open.

2) Send money to the project now.

My 2 cents.  CBT