On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 09:29:37AM -0500, Brad Smith wrote:

> >>I test this just now and it seemed to help, although I only started
> >>seeing ping replies about 10 seconds after issuing the scan. There is
> >>a similar small delay, though usually not as long, when bringing the
> >>interface down then up.
> >>
> >>Also maybe of note is that the status of the interface as reported by
> >>ifconfig remains "active" when it is not receiving any traffic.
> >
> >I have urtwn(4) which also experience intermittent stops
> >with some Access Points (not all).
> >
> >Looks like it is common problem for urtw(4) and urtwn(4).
>
> and rsu(4).

Also perhaps of note is that 'arp -a' hangs indefinitely while the
interface isn't receiving traffic. I did notice however that I am still
seeing RSTP messages from the router during the outage. The arp command
returns some stuff immediately after I bring the interface down then
back up.

Does anyone have any idea as to how this might be troubleshot further?

FWIW, this is the relevant output of 'usbdevs -v':

port 4 addr 2: high speed, power 500 mA, config 1, RTL8187(0x8187),
Realtek(0x0bda), rev 1.00, iSerialNumber 00C0CA753185

I've seen similar behavior on OpenBSD in years past with various
wireless adapters and have never been able to solve it. I don't want to

-Brian