On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 11:56:05AM -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
>
> > What I'm recommending isn't really an upgrade so much as using the old
> > box to bootstrap a newest snapshot. As long as the bootblocks are still
> > compatible, you can do it.
> >
> Why? A clean build on a new machine would be the best solution in that
> case, .. then reconfigure with data from the old box/disk.
>
> Also, it is not good to recommend snapshots - most users do not need that
> level of complexity. CDs are a much better alternative, and give something
> back to the project. You DO purchase more than one set of CDs for every
> release, right?
>
>       Lee

I DO NOT recommend going straight to -current, twice I have made that
jump on my remote server only to find that the packages for something
important suddenly don't work even though my -current box at home
worked OK.

Buy a CD. Do a fresh install. And since a special moment with lock
showing up is soon to happen, then upgrading that to -current should
work fine. But yes upgrade to 5.5 -current afterwards.

Or wait a little and put -current at home/office and test and then
install if OK.

It never hurts to be careful. And backup everything before you turn off
those disks since they are old. Old disks keep running but often can't
restart from a stop.

Chris Bennett