Kenneth Westerback wrote:
>I'm pretty sure that DVD's don't come with a disk sector size of 512
>bytes. So trying to access it with 512 byte sectors could be one
>problem. You can play with the vnconfig '-t' option and add an
>appropriate entry to /etc/disktab that specifies the more likely
>sector size of 2048 bytes.

Alas:

# egrep mydvd /etc/disktab
mydvd|My DVD:se#2048:ns#100:nt#1
# vnconfig -t mydvd vnd0 X17-59463.iso
# disklabel vnd0
# /dev/rvnd0c:
type: vnd
disk: GSP1RMCULFRER_EN
label: _DVD
duid: 0000000000000000
flags:
bytes/sector: 2048
sectors/track: 100
tracks/cylinder: 1
sectors/cylinder: 100
cylinders: 12521
total sectors: 1252186
boundstart: 0
boundend: 1252186
drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
#                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
  a:          1252186                0 ISO9660
  c:          1252186                0 ISO9660
# mount_cd9660 /dev/vnd0a /mnt
# ls -la /mnt
total 4
dr-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  112 Apr 12  2011 .
drwxr-xr-x  14 root  wheel  512 Dec 31 18:44 ..
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  135 Apr 12  2011 README.TXT
# umount /mnt
# mount_udf /dev/vnd0a /mnt
FSD does not lie within the partition!
mount_udf: mount: Invalid argument
#

>Or you can burn the .iso to a physical device.
>If you burn it to a physical device, what does disklabel show?

Unfortunately the two computers I have easy access to can't write
DVDs, which is why I was playing with all that stuff in the first
place.  One computer is my OpenBSD laptop that can only read DVDs, not
write them, and the other one is an old Windows XP PC that belongs to
my employer and is limited to CDs.  I was trying to upgrade the
CD-only PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, but Windows 7 is only
available as a physical DVD or a DVD ISO, so I was trying to use my
OpenBSD laptop to create a bootable Windows 7 installation USB flash
drive from the DVD...

Anyway, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff's suggestion of using 7-Zip seems to work
with the example X17-59463.iso file I downloaded from the internet:

$ 7z l X17-59463.iso

7-Zip 9.20  Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=C,Utf16=off,HugeFiles=on,1 CPU)

Listing archive: X17-59463.iso

--
Path = X17-59463.iso
Type = Udf

   Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2011-04-12 12:47:03 .....           43         2048  autorun.inf
2011-04-12 12:47:03 D....                            boot
2011-04-12 12:47:03 .....       262144       262144  boot/bcd
[...]
2011-04-12 12:47:03 .....        73728        73728
upgrade/netfx/netfxupdate.exe
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
                            2582383753   2583164928  877 files, 200 folders
$

I have another ISO (taken straight from a physical Windows 7 DVD using
dd(1) on my OpenBSD laptop) for which that does not seem to work
though:

$ 7z l cdn1.iso

7-Zip 9.20  Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=C,Utf16=off,HugeFiles=on,1 CPU)

Listing archive: cdn1.iso

--
Path = cdn1.iso
Type = Iso

   Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2011-04-12 04:09:45 .....          135          135  README.TXT
                    .....         4096         4096
[BOOT]/Bootable_NoEmulation.img
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
                                  4231         4231  2 files, 0 folders
$

When I use mount_udf, this cdn1.iso ISO has the exact same "FSD does
not lie within the partition!" problem as the example X17-59463.iso
file that I got from the web, but in this case of cdn1.iso it looks
like even when using 7z I can only get the files that I could already
get when using mount_cd9660.  Which is... strange.

Anyway, for the archives, here are some other things that I tried:

- using dd(1) on my OpenBSD laptop to copy the 2.5GB cdn1.iso directly
  to a 4GB USB flash drive.  When I tested it, my laptop computer
  would not boot from that USB flash drive though, even though it
  could boot from the physical Windows 7 DVD from which cdn1.iso was
  copied in the first place using the same dd(1).  Don't ask me why
  this didn't work, I have no clue...

- booting Ubuntu on my laptop using a USB flash drive, then cp(1) (not
  dd) the content of the UDF file system of the physical Windows 7 DVD
  to an NTFS USB flash drive.  That USB drive was not bootable, but,
  among the files copied from the DVD to the USB, there was a
  setup.exe program that I could run from the USB on my Windows XP
  computer to install Windows 7.  The only problem is that the Windows
  7 installation program would not allow me to re-partition the PC's
  hard disk (since the PC had booted from its hard disk and not from
  the USB...)

- after installing Windows 7 on the PC (without re-partitioning the
  PC's hard disk) I copied the same cdn1.iso from my OpenBSD laptop to
  the PC through the network.  I then installed on the Windows 7 PC a
  standard ISO utility program that I downloaded from the Internet and
  used it to write cdn1.iso to a USB flash drive.  That flash drive
  was bootable and I was then able to install Windows 7 on the PC and
  re-partition the hard disk as part of the installation process too.

  In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I could have done essentially the
  same thing without having to install Windows 7 twice: dd(1) the
  physical Windows 7 DVD on my OpenBSD laptop, copy the ISO image to
  the Windows XP PC through the network, and write the ISO to a USB
  flash drive under Windows XP using some ISO utility downloaded from
  the internet to directly get a bootable Windows 7 installation USB
  flash drive.  I just wasted a lot of time trying to do the whole
  process from DVD to bootable USB on OpenBSD...

Anyway, if someone knows how to create a bootable Windows 7
installation USB flash drive from a physical Windows 7 DVD on OpenBSD,
I'd still like to know the answer, just out of curiosity.

Philippe