On 11/28/05, Eric Faurot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/28/05, Jeremy David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > broken? which page? which browser?
> >
> > Hi. Thanks for joining the conversation, Eric.
> >
> > I appreciate your question, but I believe to cite a particular page
> > which doesn't work as intended on a particular browser would be to
> > miss the point.
>
> I just wanted to point that your original argument was wrong. You said "fix
> it because it is broken for people", which is not true.

I would say that it is. "Broken" doesn't necessarily mean that it
makes your browser crash. When you look at www.openbsd.org in lynx,
every page has a bunch of links at the top that you have to scroll
through endlessly in order to get to the content. It looks nice in
Firefox, but not in browsers that a lot of people use, especially the
kinds of people who want to use OpenBSD. For those people who use
lynx, www.openbsd.org is a frustrating challenge to navigate.
Similarly for the blind who use a text reader to read them the content
on the web page, lists are not identified as such in the code, and
therefore someone using an alternative way of getting information from
the web can't find what they're looking for without a lot of
frustration. Saying that it works for me OK right now is simply not
good enough.

> I fully agree. When that happens, action will be taken by someone who
> decides it is "then" a priority.

Well, I believe that fixing it right the first time will save you some
panic and further problems in the future.

The idea has been mentioned in this thread that it's too difficult to
make websites work in multiple browsers and still be valid. That idea
is simply incorrect. Here's an example. http://www.cerealport.com/?p=8

I believe that fixing it now will get the content of openbsd.org,
which is superb, into the minds of everyone who is looking for it, now
and in the future.

- Jeremy