> I think the driver should somehow refrain from doing KMS on first boot,
> or the machine should automatically reboot after fw_update to prevent
> this from happening.

That's the intention.  The idea is that if firmware is needed, but not
present, radeondrm(4) will detach and vga(4) will attach.
Unfortunately the codepaths are different for different hardware
generations and not all of them have been properly tested.

Can you send a dmesg from a boot *without* the firmware installed?
You can simply pkg_delete the radeon-firmware package and add it back
later, or just temporarily move /etc/firmware/radeon-* to a different
location and move it back afterwards.

Thanks,

Mark