On 28/11/05, Eric Faurot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/28/05, Jeremy David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  Not to mention the fact that most
> > people think it's ugly. If that hurts someone's feelings then I'm sorry, but
> > it does no one any favors to ignore errors and broken code.
>
> Call me a pervert, but actually I sort of like the "vintage" look of it.
> FreeBSD
> looks so boringly corporate these days...
>
> I am all for good design, good html and everything, but frankly I don't
> feel this kind of discussions helps anything. Yes, having checked the
> html sources (with my eyes, not with the validator), I think using
> 'better html' could probably help the maintainance a bit. So what?
> Would I impose that to the guy that is actually working on the content?
> If it were to be changed (maybe it will someday), it would be done
> for pragmatic reasons (or for the very own pleasure of the openbsd team,
> but that is another story), not to satisfy a dogmatic standpoint.
> Which browser? which page?

Agreed. FreeBSD.org web-site's usability was noticeably downgraded
after the redesign. Let's see of how I, for one, was using the
web-site before the redesign of 2005:

1. open mozilla on non-FreeBSD system, type freebsd.org, hit enter
*2. type man, hit enter*
3. select the input area, type the command, press enter

Right now, instead of _one_ simple step (2.), I need to follow _three_
undermentioned ugly steps:
2.1 type doc, hit enter
2.2 type man, hit enter
2.3 be totally confused by a list of useless options, find somehow
that I should probably just click "Man Online" for the default man.cgi
options.

Some goes with finding other FreeBSD's resources on the new web-site.

Please, redesign OpenBSD's web-site in such fashion in _absolutely no
case_. It works fine now, does the job, and isn't ugly to look at. :-)

Constantine.