On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM, STeve Andre' <and...@msu.edu> wrote:

> Twice now in three or so weeks, I've gotten a panic on my -current_amd64
> W500 laptop.  I've updated my tree several times during this time, and have
> not seen other problems besides the known acpi heat problem.

Uh, what was the date of the cvs update of your kernel build when they
started?  What was the cvs update date of your kernel before *that*?  (I.e,
what's your best estimate of the window in which the change to the kernel
which triggered the panic occurred?

(What, you don't keep a log of the timestamps of your kernel
updates+builds?  Doesn't everyone?)

I have both firefox and chrome running but I'm getting the feeling that
> things
> get more weird as I use lots of tabs in chrome.

You're pushing the vm subsystem enough to page.  Since you have 8GB, I
wonder if you've raised yourkern.bufcachepercent, thus pushing on it harder.

> panic: softdep_deallocate_dependencies: dangling deps
> Stopped at      Debugger+0x5:   leave
> RUN AT LEAST 'trace' AND 'ps' AND INCLUDE OUTPUT WHEN REPORTING THIS PANIC!
> IF RUNNING SMP, USE 'mach ddbcpu <#>' AND 'trace' ON OTHER PROCESSORS, TOO.
> DO NOT EVEN BOTHER REPORTING THIS WITHOUT INCLUDING THAT INFORMATION!
> ddb{1}> ddb{1}> Debugger() at Debugger+0x5
> panic() at panic+0xfe
> softdep_deallocate_dependencies() at softdep_deallocate_dependencies+0x1b
> brelse() at brelse+0x61
> ffs_write() at ffs_write+0x419
> VOP_WRITE() at VOP_WRITE+0x3f
> uvn_io() at uvn_io+0x1a0
> uvm_pager_put() at uvm_pager_put+0x92
> uvmpd_scan_inactive() at uvmpd_scan_inactive+0x5a3
> uvmpd_scan() at uvmpd_scan+0x6e
> uvm_pageout() at uvm_pageout+0x5b

This is *likely* to be a bug in the "don't cache pages being paged out"
commit, but it would be nice to be sure it didn't start before then...

Philip Guenther