On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 8:14 PM, STeve Andre' <and...@msu.edu> wrote:

> On 05/08/14 22:43, Philip Guenther wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM, STeve Andre' <and...@msu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  Twice now in three or so weeks, I've gotten a panic on my -current_amd64
>>> W500 laptop.  I've updated my tree several times during this time, and
>>> have
>>> not seen other problems besides the known acpi heat problem.
>>>
>>>  Uh, what was the date of the cvs update of your kernel build when they
>> started?  What was the cvs update date of your kernel before *that*?
>>  (I.e,
>> what's your best estimate of the window in which the change to the kernel
>> which triggered the panic occurred?
>>
>> (What, you don't keep a log of the timestamps of your kernel
>> updates+builds?  Doesn't everyone?)
>>

> Actually, I do keep past kernels so I have the build date for them.
> I *thought* I had some notes on when this started but I am
> ashamed to see that I didn't put them in a safe place.

Well, make your best, but conservative estimate of the window in which it
started.  ("Certainly after _that_ kernel; not sure if before _this_ kernel
but certainly before this+1...")

I have both firefox and chrome running but I'm getting the feeling that

>>> things
>>> get more weird as I use lots of tabs in chrome.
>>>
>>>  You're pushing the vm subsystem enough to page.  Since you have 8GB, I
>> wonder if you've raised yourkern.bufcachepercent, thus pushing on it
>> harder.
>>

> Nope, I try to avoid the knobs when possible.  It's been at 20%
> ever since (bob?) raised it to 20%.

Ok.  I guess it's just memory pressure from chrome.

> I don't think I'm swapping?  At least I haven't seen top tell me that.
>

> ...In the past (like a year+) ago, there were times when chrome
> went crazy with memory and I did swap.  But chrome has gotten
> better--I don't think I've seen it do that for some time now.

Heh, the backtrace starts from "uvm_pageout" so yes, it decided to page
something out.  :-)

>  I'm not sure how well I can pin this down.  If I go too far back with
> an older kernel I'll be out of sync with userland.  Any suggestions
> on how to test this more?

I don't recall any kernel ABI changes in the window, but hold off for now.
 Eyes more familiar with the involved subsystem may consider the backtrace
you gave (thanks!) enough.

Philip Guenther