On 6/10/14, Maurice McCarthy <m...@mythic-beasts.com> wrote:
> OK, I think I've got it licked. the dj2540 being alarmingly cheap was never
> intended for use over the usb. After hp-setup has run it does not even
> advertise itself as present. After a reboot, lsusb does not show up the
> printer. The usb connection is only there for the setup program.
>
> Did some wholesale surgery deleting cups, hplip and a shedful of stuff. I'd
> thought that hpijs and cups would have given me usb printing. It did not.
> Cups could not find any printers on the usb even though it was listed in
> lsusb. There was no way to install it as a usb printer _and have it _work.
>
> What was confusing was that hp-setup said in was configured as hp:/usb/...
> whereas in fact it ends configured as hp:/net/... HP even say, somewhere, it
> is best to remove the usb cable after set up.

I think I read in your original post that one of the first things
you did was to set up the wireless interface of the printer
(ignore my post if I am misremembering).

I don't know about this specific printer, but my Brother printer
has USB, Ethernet and Wifi interfaces, but, once Wifi interface
is configured, for example, Ethernet port will not work. Until
the printer is reconfigured/reset and Ethernet selected.

I wouldn't be surprised if your printer acts similarly. i.e.,
abandoning other interfaces in favor of the configure one.
See your printer's documentation, it should specify this info.
Mine did.

--patrick