Em 27-06-2014 11:50, Stefan Wollny escreveu:
> Hi misc@-readers!
>
> I have once more read man afterboot(8) and a question came up related
> to the superuser's password.
>
> In section 'root password' advisory is given to "choose a password
> that has digits and special characters (not space)". This last advice
> is what I do not understand - all of my passwords have spaces,
> including root's, and I never noticed any drawbacks. Actually I
> consider spaces within a password to be a security feature making it a
> 'passphrase' which should be harder to crack (yes - it is as looong
> password for root ;-) )
>
> Now: Is this advice in afterboot(8) 'out-of-date' or am I just lucky?
>
> STEFAN

Perhaps you should take a look at this funny and very accurate xkcd
comic strip:

http://xkcd.com/936/

Passwords are all about entropy. Spaces, special characters, don't mean
much for brute force attacks. If you take a look at the most new, state
of the art password cracking tools, you'll find that they are very, very
good at guessing passwords. I believe that using long phrases composed
of random words as passwords is way more effective than these special,
punctuation, spaces, passwords. But, that's me. Don't take my word for
it. The man page still does give good advice, specially because the
cryptography used on the OpenBSD passwords is much stronger than other
oses. Take a look at crypt(3) man page. You'll see that you can have a
password with 72 characters. I believe that cryptographic attacks on the
hashing are very hard. And remote attacks on your machine are unlikely.
But remember, it's all about entropy.

Cheers,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini