On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Chris Cappuccio <ch...@nmedia.net> wrote:
> Gilbert Sanford [gilbertz....@gmail.com] wrote:
>> Though the following has nothing to do with AMD GPU's, it may be of interest.
>> I will share my config with you with one caveat: I'm from Alabama, and we all
>> know what that means ...
>> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=139656417532670&w=2
>
> If you're lucky someone will have Nouveau ported before too long.
>
> I've noticed that Nvidia laptops tend to get really damn hot. I stick
> with integrated video because it is always cooler than a discrete video
> chip.
>
> I wonder, why not just buy something with integrated, supported Intel or ATI
> video to begin with? (And that's exactly what this guy wants, as well.)
>
> --
> "If you see fraud and don't shout fraud, you are a fraud" -- Nassim Taleb

Chris, you're absolutely right.  I now know more than I did a year ago, and my
next purchase, when this one dies, will be a box with integrated Intel only.
Intel with integrated video is the only way to fly for those of us who just live
in a tmux'ed xterm with Firefox or Chrome on the side (genuine, one-man,
in-house web devel from Alabama -- man, that's funny!!  You guys think OpenSSL
is horrifying . . . pray that you never have to look at the 9500 lines I wrote
for our multiple warehouse inventory system for the Parts Department, hahaha :)
it's worked for over 2 years!)  Occasionally, I break out the GIMP, but, again,
integrated Intel is more than up to the task.  No doubt, I got lucky with what
I'm doing, to the point that Nouveau isn't necessary, nor do I care to run
anything else to get it.  (I keep "Winders" and Linuxmint on the box to ensure
I can handle whatever comes my way in the business world.)

You may have noticed "acpitz0 at acpi0: critical temperature is 107 degC" in my
dmesg . . . it always says that, and that's probably where it was before I
disabled processor cores.  I don't think the GPU is doing anything, but the
processor was definitely cooking.  My unit is very comfortable now, and
OpenBSD simply flies.  This is a very fast box compared to what I've had in
the past.  Perhaps the poster from Poland can acquire the right kind
of hardware.

Sorry I top-posted earlier.  All you guys are great!!  Pure genius hard at work.

Gilbert