previously on this list Kevin Chadwick contributed:

> > on this machine it's been rock solid.
> >
> > Historically there have been problems where a setup could be completely
> > stable, then move it to a different environment (different clients around?
> > different other APs? I'm not sure) and it would hang frequently.
>
> Hmm, perhaps I should try it downstairs or with a tiny antenna. I also
> should have a cardbus version on it's way of the same chipset combo
> stated as rock solid so that should be interesting then.

AR5008-3NG (AR5416+AR2133)     2GHz         3x3:2    PCI/CardBus

athn0 at cardbus1 dev 0 function 0 "Atheros AR5416" rev 0x01: irq 10
athn0: MAC AR5416 rev 2, RF AR2133 (2T3R), ROM rev 2

Seems stable downloading 100s of megs without any issue and from over
40 meters away compared to 20 or 2 megabytes nearby before stalls though
I couldn't get it to use chan 1 that the other card would only use and
where collisions may occur with many local access points using chan 1.
I've also happened to moved some 15 inch subs (magnets) out of the room
in the meantime so perhaps not the best test but I would still guess at
the problem being to do with the chipset.

I still have to do in rc.local;
/sbin/ifconfig athn0 down
/sbin/ifconfig chan 7
/sbin/ifconfig athn0 up

to get it to work on boot.

So sthen unless you need 802.11n perhaps it's worth a look at OpenBSD
again. I know I am far happier with an OpenBSD access point than a
Linux one and the time to set it up is amasingly quick when it works
especially compared to a Linux Install rather than router.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)