On Aug 19, 2014, at 9:38 PM, Adam Thompson <athom...@athompso.net> wrote:

> IIRC from my experimentation, you've got it exactly right.
> Some tunnel brokers give you subnet masks that certain versions of OpenBSD
> don't like - that turns out to not actually matter, just use whatever
> ifconfig(8) want.  Point in case: HE recommends using /64 for PtP links, but
> OpenBSD 5.x requires /128.  Since HE allocates an entire /64 per tunnel,
> there is no danger in configuring it more narrowly on the client end.

Thanks for the info. As it happens, I am also using a tunnel provided by HE.

> The hostname.if(5) syntax that finally worked for me on 5.4-RELEASE was
> (slightly anonymized)
>> description HE_TUNNEL_FREMONT
>> tunnel 184.70.48.XXX
>> dest 64.71.128.83
>> inet6 2001:470:XXXX:X::2
>> dest 2001:470:XXXX:X::1 prefixlen 128
> which perhaps adds some clarity, or perhaps confuses, depending on your point
> of view.  I can't remember whether (in the non-BGP case) I added the route
> command as "!route -n add -inet6 default 2001:470:1f04:204::1" to the
> hostname.gif0 file, or if I added it to /etc/mygate - one or the other should
> work, anyway.
I haven't gotten to the point of making this configuration permanent, but the
example above makes sense. My initial effort is toward a larger goal of getting
a small network of pure IPv6 hosts connected. My current thinking on how to do
this is (in admittedly vague and incomplete terms) is: use a machine connected
to the tunnel broker as a bridge. Other machines would connect to it and
perform address auto configuration, using the prefix of the HE provided
network. To accomplish this, the bridge machine would run the daemon that hands
out these prefixes, which I think is called "rtadvd" Comments on this approach
(or alternatives) are welcome.

Finally, is this the place to discuss these kinds of network setup puzzles? I
happen to be using OpenBSD, but this kind of task really is at the intersection
of operating system specifics and the more general practice of network design.

Chuck