On Aug 20, 2014, at 7:43 AM, Adam Thompson <athom...@athompso.net> wrote:
> I know - I could tell by the addresses  you provided :-).
So much for *my* anonymity... ;-)

> Basically, yes.  Although you have a "router" (does things with IP packets),
> not a "bridge" (does things with Ethernet frames) - that's a huge difference.
> I don't think I've ever relied on address autoconfig - it looks very nice in
> theory but has some limitations in practice.  I would test everything using
> static IPs and static routes first, and then move on to rtadvd.
>
> HE assigns two blocks of addresses with every tunnel - the point-to-point
> tunnel addresses and the "Routed IPv6 Prefixes".
> You want to use the IPv6 Tunnel Endpoints on the gif0 tunnel, which is
> presumably built on top of $external_if , and you want to use the Routed IPv6
> Prefixes on $internal_if.  Note that is perfectly valid to have public IPv6
> addresses running on the same subnet as private (RFC1918) IPv4 addresses -
> IPv4 traffic gets NAT'd, IPv6 traffic merely gets routed.

rtadvd: Yes, one thing at a time. Static IPs first.

router vs. bridge: good point. Because I those "routed IPv6 Prefixes" are
available, there are two networks in play, so it's routing and not bridging. I
was initially operating under the assumption that there was one network for
both the tunnel endpoint and the other hosts, so I thought "bridge!". But that
isn't the case.

> Do beware that your pf ruleset must pass IPv6 traffic without NAT'ing it... I
> think this is the default now, not sure.
This, I will have to dig into. I wasn't aware that PF was enabled. But I
suspect you can't get very far in these setups without it. Another responder
provided some PF rules to try, so I can study those.