somelooser3...@hushmail.com wrote, On 08/25/14 12:54:
I installed an OpenBSD desktop and in the /etc:

     rc.conf.local:xdm_flags=                # enabled during install

How can I set the automatic login for a user without prompting for
password?

It seems one should be able to get getty(8) to do this using /etc/ttys. I tried:

  console  "/usr/bin/su -l USER -c /usr/X11R6/bin/startx"  xterm on secure

which automatically launched X, but I didn't have access to the console (i.e., no write permission on /dev/console, no keyboard, etc.). I looked into fbtab(5), but I'm not sure how this works in this situation. It seems the default fbtab should suffice.

I also tried:

  console  "/usr/bin/login -f USER"  vt220 on secure

but that didn't work. It's apparently not setting up the login environment properly. I figured it I could get a user logged in. From that point you could run startx(1) from the user's login script.

If someone knows how to do this properly via getty(8), I would be very interested.