On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 8:49 PM, tekk <t...@parlementum.net> wrote:

> I know that at least in 2004 it was considered to be unreasonable
> to try to get i386 linux applications working on amd64 openbsd through
> emul.linux, but how much work would be involved to get amd64 linux
> apps working? Presumably it wouldn't  quite be as easy as just using
> 64 bit packages instead of 32 bit, but are there too  many abi
> differences?

Unlike many OSs OpenBSD amd64 is true 64 bit operating system so even
running native i386 binaries on amd64 (in some kind sandbox of course)
is not possible. IIRC there was extensive discussion many years ago
about cross compiling and OpenBSD developers got that right by insisting
on native builds and real hardware testing. If anybody things otherwise
please try to run any non Tier I NetBSD port. I honestly wonder if
emul.linux serves any purpose today. OpenBSD ports three contains
practically any valuable peace of open-source software worth porting.
Apart of now dead Opera web browser I personally have never been tempted
to run Linux binaries on OpenBSD. Sure running Oracle Java or MATLAB on
OpenBSD would be nice but that is not OpenBSD issue but rather Oracle
and MathWorks business decisions. Same goes with infamous Adobe Flash or
my recent favorite MegaRAID Storage Management.

If I was allowed to vote I would remove emul.linux code from the build
all together.

Predrag