On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Bret Lambert <bret.lamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if, as Herr Schroeder seems to be implying, this is used to
> avoid port scans, I'd look for traffic to/from address:port which
> don't show up on scans.

That's why I want to hide it behind an ordinary service.

>> Also, the VPN could be tunneled
>> over HTTP if necessary.

> I know of at least one company which sells a product which doesn't
> just read headers, but classifies traffic based upon behavior, e.g.,
> "small request receives large response -> bulk transfer", or
> "series of tiny packets which receive a single, larger response ->
> interactive session". I assume nation-states have developed similar
> capabilities.

That's fine. But they have to analyze all the traffic. This is a
needle in a haystack.

> The ability to use statistical methods to eavesdrop on encrypted
> SIP sessions comes to mind as an example of traffic analysis as a
> tool to defeat adversaries who are attempting to secure their
> communications.

Again, a needle in a haystack.

Please read the OP before refuting stuff on the list. If you want to
argue, and you aren't sure of your argument, e-mail me off the list.
Otherwise it just adds to the general level of confusion, which is
already higher than I'd expected on this list.

Thanks,
Ian