Dear Ingo, Misc
From: Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de>
Sent:  Fri, 7 Nov 2014 19:18:08 +0100
To: Jungle Boogie Cc: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: Updating ports from CVS question

Jungle Boogie wrote on Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 08:20:36AM -0800:

Great idea! How do you update your ports, then?
Just download a new ports.tar.gz file

If you are running -stable, that doesn't help.
The file ports.tar.gz doesn't get updated for -stable after release.

or:
# cd /usr/ports
# cvs -d anon...@anoncvs.usa.openbsd.org:/cvs -q up -rOPENBSD_`uname
-r | sed 's/\./_/'` -Pd

Yes, you start from ports.tar.gz, and then, you update that tree
with cvs(1) as needed.

I don't like your uname(1) hackery, though.  It's unsafe, giving you
a false sense of security.  For example, i'm running -current, but
your uname(1) says, on my -current machine:

    $ uname -r | sed 's/\./_/'
   5_6
    $ uname -a
   OpenBSD isnote.usta.de 5.6 GENERIC.MP#5 i386

I followed directions here:
http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/stable-current-obsd

I did skip one reboot, though.

Also, I went from 5.6 -release to -current and now looking at the directions, following a snapshot is recommended. I would expect my uname to update, though.

To update my ports tree, i have to do:

    $ cd /usr/ports && cvs -d ... up -dP

without any -r argument, but your uname(1) would give me a bogus -r
argument, so in some situations, it does the wrong thing.

I'd recommend that you just supply the correct -r by hand if needed.

I think I'll rebuild the machine based on a snapshot THEN update to -current!

KISS!

Yours,
   Ingo

--