On 11/25/14 15:51, Motty Cruz wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am searching for hardware to build a router with OpenBSD. I have found
> mixed signals as to fastest system with i386 or 64bit. I know in the
> past i386 OpenBSD used to perform a lot better than 64bit system.

Paraphrasing your question:
I'm looking for the fastest car for my commute to work.  Should it be
blue or orange?

IF you have truly got an environment where you need to wring the last
bit of performance out of the system, you might want to look at the
things that actually matter -- like NICs, bus, etc.  And you will
probably have the budget and motivation to do a bit of experimenting.

More than likely, just like my commute to work is throttled by the
roads, NOT my car's paint color (or engine), your performance will be
throttled by your links more than anything else.  Once your machine can
move all the packets that your pipes support, the rest is just wasted
effort.

There are other considerations.  My primary firewall/router is an AMD64
capable processor, but running i386.  Why?  Because if I blow out the
computer, I have more i386-capable scrap hw than I do amd64 capable hw.

Nick.