On 11/28/14 01:32, Blaise Hizded wrote:
On 11/28/2014 06:01 AM, Brad Smith wrote:
On 11/27/14 23:50, jungle Boogie wrote:
Hi,
On 27 November 2014 at 20:38,  <thev...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
you can just use old hardware for these purposes.

from the man who literally wrote the book on pf (from pf tutorial via
http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/long-firewall.html):

    I have not seen comparable tests performed recently [3.1 era],
but in my
    own experience and that of others, the PF filtering overhead is
pretty
    much negligible. As one data point, the machine which gateways
between
    one of the networks where I've done a bit of work and the world is a
    Pentium III 450MHz with 384MB of RAM. When I've remembered to
check, I've
    never seen the machine at less than 96 percent 'idle' according
to top.

Yes, that's true! But less fun. ;)

I do have some Dell dimensions machine with OpenBSD -current running
now that I could easily get two NICs but its kinda old and slow to
update current. I'll measure the power to see how much it uses.

With the fact that old hardware, why would the APU be "OK" and not good?
I don't see anyone claiming it would not be good. It's more like if you
happen to have some old hw around that it would probably be good enough
for what you're describing but the APU system would also do the job just
fine.

I run the previous generation ALIX 2D13 with OpenBSD 5.6 on it for a
home firewall with 10MB WAN broadband and 100MB between computers.
All is fine: low temperature, low consumption, same speed as with a
basic 100MBB switch.

So I guess the APU1C is fast enought for a home network.

The APU1C works fine for a home network. The only 2 things I dislike are the CPU temperature and the link LED's are off when the Ethernet ports are linked at 1 gig. I've complained about the link LED issue on the PC Engines support forum, but I guess there's no desire to fix it. Oh well.

# sysctl hw
hw.machine=amd64
hw.model=AMD G-T40E Processor
hw.ncpu=2