On 11/27/14 23:50, jungle Boogie wrote:
Hi,
On 27 November 2014 at 20:38,  <thev...@openmailbox.org> wrote:

you can just use old hardware for these purposes.

from the man who literally wrote the book on pf (from pf tutorial via
http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/long-firewall.html):

   I have not seen comparable tests performed recently [3.1 era], but in my
   own experience and that of others, the PF filtering overhead is pretty
   much negligible. As one data point, the machine which gateways between
   one of the networks where I've done a bit of work and the world is a
   Pentium III 450MHz with 384MB of RAM. When I've remembered to check, I've
   never seen the machine at less than 96 percent 'idle' according to top.

Yes, that's true! But less fun. ;)

I do have some Dell dimensions machine with OpenBSD -current running
now that I could easily get two NICs but its kinda old and slow to
update current. I'll measure the power to see how much it uses.

With the fact that old hardware, why would the APU be "OK" and not good?

I don't see anyone claiming it would not be good. It's more like if you
happen to have some old hw around that it would probably be good enough
for what you're describing but the APU system would also do the job just
fine.

believed to be clean.