Dear Einfach,
From: Einfach Jemand <rru....@gmail.com>
Sent:  Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:30:29 +0100
To: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: Staying -current with cvsup or cvsync>
On the footer of this site you will find

-- Quote --
This site Copyright © 1996-2009 OpenBSD.
$OpenBSD: index.html,v 1.605 2009/12/01 18:13:58 ajacoutot Exp $
-- end Quote --

so it's out of date and thus probably not authoritative.

Yes, I noticed that, too!

the .org site doesn't have the same page:
http://www.openbsd.org/cvsup.html

But the problem is I can't find cvsup in /usr/ports/net

nor anywhere else:
# make search key=cvsup
#

Does this mean cvssup is no longer used?

Yes.

Thank you for the confirmation, I'll disregard this section from the book and see what the updated book (edition 2) has to say about updates.

Then I came across cvsync: http://www.openbsd.org/cvsync.html

The example file /usr/local/share/examples/cvsync/cvsync.conf
installed by the cvsync package also has

#       # alternatively, fetch only selected parts
#       collection {
#               name openbsd-cvsroot release rcs
#       }
#       collection {
#               name openbsd-ports release rcs
#       }
#       collection {
#               name openbsd-src release rcs
#       }
#       collection {
#               name openbsd-www release rcs
#       }
#       collection {
#               name openbsd-xenocara release rcs
#       }
#
#       # the X11 and XF4 trees are of historical interest only
#       collection {
#               name openbsd-x11 release rcs
#       }
#       collection {
#               name openbsd-xf4 release rcs
#       }

so the third collection in this list
name openbsd-src release rcs
should be sufficient for you.

Ah, the example was very close to what I was trying. I tried many variations to have src in the collection but it wouldn't work.

I'll give this a shot and see how much faster the update is with cvsync!

HTH
rru

Best,
j.b.