On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM, Henrique Lengler
<henriquel...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> On 2014-12-23 02:55, Eric Furman wrote:
>>
>> No. This is done by the BIOS.
>> After the computer boots the BIOS then hands over control to the OS.
>

> So this it the time the OS is able to do whatfuck it wants with my HDD, and
> so the OS have control over HDD. Right?
>
>> And yes, that is a gross over simplification of what actually happens.
>> There is no way that any OS can 'break' a hard drive.
>

> So why this happened when using OpenBSD?
> --
> Henrique Lengler

I forgot to CC the list in the reply, sorry for the duplication:

Sometimes vendors do not do extensive testing, and do things like
hardcode strings in the firmware to expect Windows or Linux. Here is
an article discussing a problem with a Lenovo Thinkcentre that only
worked with Windows, Redhat or Fedora:

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20187.html

There have been a couple of reports similar to this one that were fixed
with a firmware update from the motherboard or system vendor. I would
presume the firmware basically crashes if it sees a boot code written
on the hard drive it does not expect, even if it follows the
standards:

http://marc.info/?t=139884306000001&r=1&w=2

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=Axiomtek+NA570&q=b

I worked on a new-ish laptop recently that would not boot from a CD or
any non-Windows partition unless I first removed the hard drive,
entered the EFI/Bios setup, set a password, then disabled EFI secure
boot.