On 2015-02-02, Janne Johansson <icepic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But it still requires a blob to actually run, does it not?

Not sure... It's no different on the 2 than the original pi (same GPU/boot
mechanism), but there is a project https://github.com/jncronin/rpi-boot which
claims to be an alternative second-stage so perhaps it's possible that way..

First-stage bootloader is pre-programmed on the board. It loads the second-
stage from SD card to the GPU and starts it.

Second-stage bootloader runs on the gpu and loads start.elf (3rd stage) which
contains gpu "firmware" (actually an RTOS which stays running) and which boots
the main cpu. The RTOS has a message passing interface used for GPU access
from the main OS, so one area of concern is how that handles malicious inputs.
It sets up a memory split between GPU/CPU at boot but it's unclear how this
is protected if at all; one important question is whether the code running
on the GPU can access CPU memory after boot. There are scary things on common
x86 systems too of course (network-accessible management processors running
crappy software sitting on the same i2c bus as the EEPROM containing the BIOS;
a payload inserted to code running in SMM would have a lot of access ...)

For all of the posts with people asking about OpenBSD on the rpi I don't think
I've seen a single one along the lines of "I've done x and y (see this diff)
but am stuck on getting z to work", I only remember ones that are more like
"can somebody port OpenBSD to the rpi for me". (Hint: if somebody is willing/
able/interested/stubborn enough to do this, posts like that will be totally
off the radar).