On 4 March 2015, Manuel Giraud <man...@ledu-giraud.fr> wrote:
> Ed Ahlsen-Girard <eagir...@cox.net> writes:
>
> > I decided to upgrade the internal drive, so I hooked up the new on on
> > the CD's usual SATA channel and installed, having adjust the disklabel
> > more to suit me (the auto partition of /usr left it really tight on
> > space, and home was not big enough).
> >
> > First method: mount all the slices in /tree and run a series of cp -R
> > as root. Files seemed to get there but something was not right with
> > permissions when I tried booting the new disk, so I dropped back and
> > did some research.
>
> For this kind of things, dump/restore is a good way too that won't mess
> anything. AFAIK your differents source directories (/, /home, ...) have
> to already be differents partitions, then you can go like this:
>
> # mount -o async /dev/sd?a /tree
> # cd /tree
> # dump -0a -f - / | restore -rf -
> # mount -o async /dev/sd?d /tree/home
> # cd /tree/home
> # dump -0a -f - /home | restore -rf -

    +1 for dump / restore.  cp doesn't handle hardlinks, tar / pax have
limitations on maximum path length, rsync is resource-hungry if you tell
it to deal with hardlinks, and cpio has other limitations on file names.
Really, dump / restore is the only viable choice for this kind of task.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia