On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:12:40AM +0100, Stefan Wvhrer wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   .. I gotta very confusing problem running OpenBSD. I've installed OpenBSD
> at a mashine and where able to do anything I wanted to ( just have added an
> user in the wheel group an another in the user group ) Then I tried to log in
> from network as root via ssh. Didn't work since I've forgotten to allow
> root-login in sshd_config. As I wanted to locally log in as root to change
> the configuration file - it doesn't work.. I wasn't able to log in any more
> .. even not locally..
>
>   Login: root
>   Password:
>   Login incorrect
>   ... tried it a few times without any success...
>
>   I really didn't forget my password. I've searched for any solutions in the
> internet a whole day. I tried empty password, I tried "Root" instead of
> "root" .... no success. The user in the wheel group -> same story.
>
>   Only the user in the user group works. WTF?? (I cannot "su" or
> "/usr/bin/login" for root with that user, since it is not in the wheel
> group......)
>
>   Just "used" OpenBSD for 10 minutes and destroed it... that makes me sad ;-)

boot OpenBSD in single user mode and change root password or search for
changes( maybe /var/backups will help).

P.S. remember to mount root partition in r/w( or even mount -a) while in
single user mode.

                                - Lukasz Sztachanski

--
0x058B7133 // 16AB 4EBC 29DA D92D 8DBE  BC01 FC91 9EF7 058B 7133
http://szati.blogspot.com