Hi Misc,

I need to provide secure access to a web application running on my
servers to handful typical desktop users. I am thinking of requiring
them to have L2TP/IPSec VPN tunnel before they can browse my
application. HTTPS is not good enough due to the nature of the
application.

Why L2TP? I am not a Windows uses but it seems that it should be trivial
to setup client side

https://www.hideipvpn.com/2010/03/howto-windows-7-ipsecl2tp-vpn-setup-tutorial/
and avoid customer service requests, on another hand I am reading man
pages for npppd and ipsec on 5.7 and Giovanni's slides from two years
ago

http://www.slideshare.net/GiovanniBechis/npppd-easy-vpn-with-openbsd

for the talk he gave at BSDCan IIRC. I don't need to use RADIUS just a
local authentication database. It is in the base and it seems very easy
to configure.

Is anybody running similar setup in production? Any caveats? Any other
advises before I take a plunge.

Predrag

P.S. I have quite a bit experience with OpenVPN server on OpenBSD but
in my experience getting credentials to a Windows client is pain because
a typical user knows only to double click and I don't know now to
properly make Windows packages.