On May 14, 2015 1:52 AM, "Jan Stary" <h...@stare.cz> wrote:

> On May 13 20:08:45, bryan.pimm...@gmail.com wrote:
> > In fact, after killing sndiod things work fine, *except* for that
> > afterwards only one program can play sound simultaneously.
>
> That sounds like a sndiod problem then.
> Please launch sndiod again in a script(1)
> as "sndiod -d -d -d", play an audio file
> (with aucat or play or whatever) and post the log.
>
> On May 13 19:53:20, sg063...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Same here.
> > The mixer doesn't recognize the sound chip is the problem I have.
>
> Depending on what exactly you mean by that,
> that's probably not the same problem.
>
>         Jan

Ok. Let's start over. When the system starts it doesn't automatically start
KDE. When I login I'm able to get the sound to play noise with cat
/dev/urandom > /dev/audio.  Audioctl and mixerctl both display the various
settings when I run them. When I run startkde4, the sound icon is in the
lower right on the screen, the volume control slider is present and the
notification sounds play. But, there is no audio device shown in kmix and
when I click on the drop down to select the audio device, it's empty. As I
said before, I don't have this problem with FreeBSD. So, if the azalia
driver is the same, why do I have this problem on OpenBSD?

Stan