As an update - fiddling with BIOS and holding power button for 2-3 seconds
seems to wake up the machine now!

(Again, this is an i7-4550u with HD5000 GPU)

What works:
- Waking up!

What doesn't quite work:
- Lid opening still doesn't wake
- HD5000 driver is spewing errors on sleep/wake,
so waking from within X will show console errors
before rendering the screen properly.