Kurt Mosiejczuk <kurt-openbsd <at> se.rit.edu> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 05:15:01PM +0000, Dewey Hylton wrote:
>
> > > I've had this issue with the same systems.  Never guessed it would
> > > be OpenBSD specific.  What I've found to make it stop happening is
> > > pulling the board out and redoing the thermal paste for the CPU
> > > heatsink.  I had found some reference indicating that the alarm I
> > > got might be because of overheating.
>
> > > The difference between the boxes may be the attention to detail the
> > > factory worker who put it together had that day.
>
> > > Hearing that Linux doesn't trip it, I'm wondering if it's an ACPI
> > > difference between OpenBSD and Linux.  Perhaps OpenBSD runs the CPU
> > > hotter before turning it back over to the BIOS on reboot?
>
> > this is great information; thanks. any idea where the temperature
> > reference can be found?
>
> I don't remember, it was at least a couple years ago.  It was only one
> reference too.  Most talked about listening to beep codes, which this
> wasn't really beep codes...
>
> > i may be able to log the cpu temperature in both operating systems in
> > order to compare ...
>
> Possibly, but noticed I said "before turning it back over to the BIOS".
> If it's a difference in OS shutdown, it will be difficult to log the
> temperature.
>
> --Kurt

understood, but i did uncover something that might provide a hint ... i
haven't duplicated the results more than half a dozen times, but so far it's
been consistent:

after first booting openbsd, i see the following output:

# sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=31.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=48.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=52.50 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=36.00 degC
# sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=48.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=52.50 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=36.00 degC
# sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=31.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=48.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=52.50 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=36.00 degC
# reboot

and meet with success ... if i wait just a few minutes (2) i end up with this:

# sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=48.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=52.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=35.50 degC
# sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
# sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
# sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
# sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
# sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
# reboot

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

again, not a very scientific/exacting approach, but half a dozen times i've
seen the same results. i don't know what it is that trips up the sensors,
but that's when i seem to have the issue.

now, this is running the 5.4 installation (i downgraded at someone's
suggestion for testing) and i can easily reinstall from current snapshot to
see if this may be an unrelated bug.

but until then, does this scenario make sense to anyone?