On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 07:44:45AM -0600, Chris Lobkowicz wrote:
> Good day, I am curious if there is the possibility of adding/using multiple
> profiles or network entries, much like ~/.ssh/config ?
>
> eg:
>
> In /etc/hostname.iwn0
>
> nwid primary
> wpakey key
> dhcp
>
> ???nwid ???secondary
> wpakey key
> dhcp
>

> Is this possible? I would imagine that wrapping some sort of
> identifiers/formatting around the network information would be required,
> much like the ssh/config parameters.
>
> Net primary {
>   nwid primary
>   wpakey key
>   dhcp
> }
> Net secondary {
>   nwid secondary
>   wpakey key
>   dhcp
> }
>

> The manpage of hostname.if(5) does not specifically mention/allow for this.
>

> My work-around for this is to have all my locations/ap's use the same nwid
> where possible. And where not, just use # comments in my hostname.if files
> and just manually edit the appropriate entries in/out, and rerun
> /etc/netstart.
>
> Is it possible to bake this in, rather than going down the wpa_supplicant
> path as others have done? Or am I getting my hopes up for the sake of being
> lazy?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

Various people have written various scripts.

There is no built-in solution yet. Ideally, the wireless layer itself
would provide some help with supporting this. E.g. via support for
roaming, remembering networks that have been used, or other useful
features. But at present it does not. From my point of view we don't
have a very clear plan yet. There are various ideas floating around,
though.

BTW this discussion comes up at +/- every hackathon I'm attending.
It's not just you ;-)