On 2015-09-29 19:51, Devin Reade wrote:
> --On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:38:00 AM -0600 Devin Reade
> <g...@gno.org> wrote:
>
>> To the OP, while most of the advice on this thread has been good, I'd
>> be careful of that one.  *Keep* your drives in a mirrored configuration
>> and have *additional* disks for backup purposes.
>
> Just to clarify, I was referring specifically to the comment about
> not using mirroring; I didn't trim quite enough quoting in my original
> response.

And I should perhaps also clarify myself. I was thinking about a
hypothetical scenario where the two disk drives were all we had to work
with, for budget constraint reasons or whatever, but that actual
construct never went from my brain to my fingers... so just to be
absolutely crystal clear: I do *not* recommend doing this! But *if* all
that got stranded on that remote uninhabited island was you, a server
with two disks and a two thousand mile long connected water proof
extension cord, then it would be wise to use one as a backup and the
other to work with. And make sure both are bootable. (And go look for
the keyboard, mouse and screen, they're on that beach SOMEWHERE!)

Regards,

/Benny