Am Mittwoch, den 04.11.2015, 13:37 +1100 schrieb Jason Tubnor:

> While pf(4) will let you define and load queues that exceed the parent
> (top
> level) queue, when you start to load up your queues, you'll get
> congestion
> defeating the purpose of queuing.  To what point, depends on your
> environment.

As long as you do not get congestion, you do not get queuing.

If I understood henning@ correctly, what you get is an H-FSC-like queue.
What is being defined width "bandwidth" is the "link-share service
curve".

pf.conf(5) let's you specify an absolute "bandwidth" parameter, because
this format is more convenient and fits the typical workflow, rather
than a "m2" parameter. Basically it determines in which ratio the
bandwidth is shared between the flows (if and only iff there happens to
be congestion).

So 10M/10M/80M (that is what my pf.conf(5) says by the way) is exactly
the same as 1M/1M/8M or 20M/20M/160M.

> "All bandwidth values must be specified as an absolute value.  The
> suffixes K, M, and G are used to represent bits, kilobits, megabits,
> and
> gigabits per second, respectively.  The value must not exceed the
> interface bandwidth."

That is what is says, indeed. But AFAIK, this is only true for the
"root" queue because otherwise it won't have any effect.

    -dd