Good Morning.

I am writing the misc@openbsd.org thread to see if anyone else with IPv6
experience on OpenBSD has noticed this behavior with the rtadvd daemon.

I have been using OpenBSD as my firewall now for just under 4 years
(prior to that I used FreeBSD).  When I first started using it I used
HE.net's tunnelbroker service to provision my internal network with an
IPv6 subnet with my firewall being the routing endpoint.

This worked well with the rtadvd daemon even without a config, because
it was a static tunnel where the prefix of the subnet was always the
same (unless I manually did something to change it myself).

However sometime in late 2012 I was able to start taking advantage of
the native IPv6 of my ISP (Comcast), when I was troubleshooting some
other setup a tcpdump showed IPv6 was finally live in my area.  After
going through the trouble of finding a way to make it work with a
combination of RA's (Router Advertisements) and DHCPv6, I was able to
get myself directly on my ISP's IPv6 connection.  I still employed
rtadvd for provisioning IPv6 internally on my internal subnet.

The only thing I noticed was that unlike my static IPv6 tunnel, the IPv6
service from my ISP would change the subnet prefix almost any time the
DHCPv6 client was restarted or at a minimum the firewall was rebooted
(like when a new version of OpenBSD was released and I upgraded in place).

This was not a big deal as rtadvd would simply see the new prefix on my
internal interface and start sending out RA's with that prefix.  And
naturally my internal clients would automatically reconfigure themselves.

Now I've noticed for a couple releases or more rtadvd does not notice a
change of the available prefixes assigned to the interface it both
monitors and advertises on.  I have not changed my config for it, as I
just run it without a configuration file invoking it's default behavior
(since I cannot know what my IPv6 prefix will be ahead of time).

Any idea if this was an intentional change to rtadvd or is this a bug
I've run into?  I know it used to work that way.

Sly