Am 11/18/15 um 01:43 schrieb Daniel Wilkins:
When I try to play sounds on my Thinkpad T430 I find that the audio's rather
quiet, I've experimented a bit and found that at about 170 (mixerctl
outputs.master=170) the volume stops increasing. It just stays constant from
170 to 255, or at least the change is so quiet that I can't hear it. I've looked
around in the driver a little bit, but I'm no kernel hacker, the only thing I
noticed that might help is that for a few widgets outamp (I'm assuming output
amplify?) is muted.

Check the following:
$ mixerctl outputs.master

Most likely it is s.th. like "120,120". Try setting it to "245,245" (either with doas/sudo or su to root).

If it fits your needs, cp mixerctl.conf from /etc/examples to /etc and set the variable accordingly to make this setting permanent.

Best,
STEFAN