this has been discussed ad-nauseam, please search the archives.

(ps: do not respond to this, we are not interested in having this
discussion again)

On 2015 Nov 27 (Fri) at 08:33:00 -0700 (-0700), fran??ais wrote:
:The Free Software Foundation (FSF) says that:
:
:"FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD all include instructions for obtaining nonfree
:programs in their ports system. In addition, their kernels include nonfree
:firmware blobs.
:
:Nonfree firmware programs used with Linux, the kernel, are called
:???blobs???,
:and that's how we use the term. In BSD parlance, the term ???blob??? means
:something else: a nonfree driver. OpenBSD and perhaps other BSD
:distributions (called ???projects??? by BSD developers) have the policy of
:not
:including those. That is the right policy, as regards drivers; but when the
:developers say these distributions ???contain no blobs???, it causes a
:misunderstanding. They are not talking about firmware blobs.
:
:No BSD distribution has policies against proprietary binary-only firmware
:that might be loaded even by free drivers."
:
:The affirmations of FSF that I cited above are falses?
:
:With spying revelations, it is well-known that non-free firmware can contain
:backdoors. ( just one recent example:
:http://www.wired.com/2015/02/nsa-firmware-hacking/ )
:
:I would feel a lot safer if the kernel and packages were fully free,
:containing no non-free drivers nor non-free "firmware".