Christoph Viethen [open...@aixplosive.net] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on my little X9SBAA mainboard, I'm faced with a strange phenomenon. I've got
> two SATA drives at hand, one SSD, the other a regular mechanical harddisk.
> As long as I connect the SSD to a PCI card (with VIA VT6421 chipset), I can
> nicely boot from it (or use it in any other way, for that matter).
>
> But as soon as the SSD is connected to any of the on-board SATA ports (which
> are wired to the 88SE9230), I'm getting error messages during bootup of
> OpenBSD:
>
> "ahci0: failed to stop port, cannot softreset"

A variation of this problem (evident on Intel chipsets and various SSDs) was
solved for some cases here:

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/ic/ahci.c.diff?r1=1.13&r2=1.14

That was based on Dragonfly's commit:

http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commitdiff/f2dba7003b2add226b3999a41a99fd278cc5a26f

(which is a port of the OpenBSD ahci driver)

Perhaps this is a long shot, but maybe your combination of controller and SSD
require more time to sort out thier business. You could try editing
/usr/src/sys/dev/ic/ahci.c to achieve this,

change this is around line 1443:

                        if (retries == 0) {
                                retries = 1;
                                goto retry;