On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:44:08PM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
> Probably not, because if I remove all my .x* files
> and keep just the .Xdefaults -> .Xresources which
> specifies the UTF8 locale for xterm, the same thing
> happens in (the default) fvwm. Namely,
> the xterm started by default has XTERM_LOCALE=C,
> and every xterm started from fvwm's menu has XTERM_LOCALE=C,
> but every xterm I start as `xterm` (from another xterm)
> has XTERM_LOCALE=cs_CZ.UTF-8, as specified in.Xdefaults.
>
> Why is that? Am I missing something obvious?
>
>       Jan

Why don't you just set LC_CTYPE in your environment as described here?
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#locales

Do you really want to set a separate UTF-8 flag for every application you use?
I think per-application locale knobs are silly. They are legacy cruft added
before somewhat standardized locale support was built into unix systems.
I'm not surprised it doesn't work the way you expect. xterm needs LC_CTYPE
set the environment when it calls setlocale(3) and/or whatever other things
it does to set up its locale. I haven't looked at xterm code to track down
why xrdb locale settings don't apply as you expect, and I'm not going to
because you should really just be exporting LC_CTYPE in your xsession and
be done with this.