G'day Eric,

On 2016-02-26 Fri 14:52 PM |, Eric Furman wrote:

> What Nick was trying to say was, "If you do not understand internet
> e-mail from end-to-end please do not run an e-mail server."

Yes.

> There is a lot more to it than just installing some packages.

Yes, he'll need at least:
*) 1 static IP address
*) a hosted registered domain name he can control
*) properly configured reverse DNS from the ISP
*) loads of time to learn

> When you setup a mis-configured e-mail system you don't just
> suffer. Everybody suffers.
> An amateur running an e-mail server is MUCH more likely to become
> a SPAM bot. And, no it is not worth it.

Children make a mess when learning to eat.

When learning to ride a bike, people fall off.

Learning to sail often ends in being towed to port.

When I was an apprentice engineer in the navy,
and I made an arse of welding something, my tradesman would say,
"Don't worry: He who's never fucked up, has never made fuck all."

Learning to run a mail server won't be easy, nor quick, nor perfect,
but it could be an adventure, despite the funny fuckups along the way.

Cheers!
--
Frodo: Come on, Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say: "It's a dangerous
business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you