> just installed a 5.9 AMD64 version and get issues with adding packages as a
> regular system user. 'env' shows me the correct setting for PKG_PATH but
> seems that the user environment isn't able to contact the source.

"Get issues" is not a valid problem report. I am getting issues with
my stomach right now, but this will never tell you what is my problem.
Post the exact message(s) you get.

You should get something like this:

$ pkg_add -vn test
pkg_add should be run as root
Can't find test

This is telling you what to do in order to fix that "issue".

> As long as I change to 'root', everything works fine!

Isn't it obvious?

It may sound crazy, but OpenBSD does not allow any user to install
packages directly, much like Linux or Windows.