On Tue, 26 Apr 2016, li...@wrant.com wrote:
> Reality check, structured text presentation beats any sort of generator:
>
> [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language]

I agree with using an LML, but that's just one piece of the puzzle.
There are numerous converters available:

- http://pandoc.org/
- https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Markdown
- etc

Where's the line between a fully-fledged generator and a simple
converter?

Eg. pandoc is quite versatile, but you need a little glue and a template
before you could call it a blog. Going with a simpler converter, and you
soon end up with enough glue to call it a framework. (Greenspun's tenth
law?)

>> Try one of these: https://www.staticgen.com/
>
> Good luck finding one that will not shoot you in the foot in the long
> run if you are not trained to handle it inside out from the internals.

Agree! 100% agree! I did look at a whole bunch before deciding it's not
worth it, and stitched something together using pandoc, make, and some
Python to generate indexes. That's for v2, v1 didn't even use pandoc.

However same argument as with anything custom vs stock.

> And prepare some cost and a person to dedicate to handling the comments.
> AI is pretty stagnant plus the personal e-assistants still don't get it.

If you want comments on your website, you need this person either way.

Disqus has an advantage, that you don't have to run a database and
handle user input on your backend. Of course if you're fine with Disqus,
you can probably also just go to Blogspot...

Personally, if I cared about comments, I'd insert a mailto: link in the
footer.

> The less the better, so edit where you like, copy to web server, done.

Depends! It may be OK if you're exactly one person with exactly one
website, but this won't scale well, esp. when there's any sort of build
process involved. Storing artifacts in VC sucks horribly, even for a
small thing. Build servers are overkill for a blog.

K.