Hello,

Wow, thank you for all responses. I did not expect this many. You
guys are really helpful!

I had a feeling my original plan was too complicated. I appreciate
that you guys are pointing it out. Honest feedback is good feedback.
No need to spare any feelings if I'm doing something wrong. :)

I think some people here are wondering what I'm "trying to do" with
a blog. Honestly, for now I just want a piece of the web that I own,
where I can just post whatever I want. It could just be that I have
something I want to share with friends or colleagues, and I can
direct them to a URL that points to a web server that belongs to
*me*, where I'm in complete control, instead of Facebook or tumblr.

I'm not too concerned with attracting an audience or search engine
rankings right now---though maybe in the future I will. I think it's
wonderful if other people visits my website but it's not why I'm
trying to do all of this.

So right now I'm considering a cheap VPS hosting service where I run
OpenBSD because I really like OpenBSD's founding principles. I'm
leaning towards VPS instead of just a webhost because having root
access to a machine makes me *feel* like the machine is mine and I
can do whatever the heck I want. My hope is that the sysadmin aspect
doesn't turn out to be a nightmare.

So, given all the feedback I got, I'm gonna adjust my proposed
project a bit. It's just gonna be a web server, and a bunch of static
content pages. You guys proposed many different solutions for these--
I haven't had the chance yet but I'll need to assess which one I'm
going to use. Simplicity and stability (i.e. correct, secure, not
buggy) will be my criteria. Instead of a comment section, which seems
like a headache, I'll just replace it with an email address so a
reader can reach me if he/she really wanted to. Though I'm not sure
what's the best way to prevent spam (or other ways in which an email
address can be abused)? The best idea I can come up with would be to
not publicly show the email address but create a contact form with a
capcha. A contact form also has the benefit that all the emails I get
have a consistent format. Though I'm not sure if contact forms are
really the best idea.

(btw, isn't the "built-in" httpd webserver just Apache? Google seems
to tell me that they're synonyms)

David