Mon, 30 May 2016 18:23:03 -0500 Edgar Pettijohn <ed...@pettijohn-web.com>
> I am looking for a form printer.  (The kind that take the paper with
> the holes on the side.)

Tractor-feed continuous form paper
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_stationery]

> New ones are a little on the pricey side, so if anyone can share
> their experience with a make/model that works with little fuss.

Dot matrix (impact printer)
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_matrix_printing#Contemporary_use]

The price is higher compared to speculatively inexpensive ink printers,
for recurring consumables (ink) act as subsidy to the acquisition cost.

Now narrower application (industry) reduced demand, lowered production
numbers and respectively raised production cost per unit of dot matrix
printers compared to seemingly cheaper actually expensive ink printers.

Ribbon cartridges remain the cheapest consumable, dot matrix printers
still offer lowest printing cost comparable only with laser printers.

> Preferably with lpd, but I'm not completely opposed to using cupsd.

Important decision is the computer interface, here parallel port.
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1284]

Compare parallel (legacy) and USB (contemporary) device bandwidths.
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths#Peripheral]

A list of other printing processes, very interesting.
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Non-impact_printing]

Laser printing is the document printing technology today.
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_printing]

Some variants exist to make ink printing less of a problem.
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_ink_system]

Both laser and ink printers have various artificially introduced
software support problems & were listed here for comparison only.

You did not include specific details, so the info is just as general.
The synopsis is dot matrix printers are cheap, reliable and just work.

lpd - line printer spooler daemon
[http://man.openbsd.org/lpd]

My suggestion would be to look for the consumable availability nearby.