Hi all,

thanks for the replies I will try to keep them in mind while I try to move my databases :)

Regards

Am 01.06.2016 um 17:22 schrieb trondd:
On Wed, June 1, 2016 3:45 am, Markus Rosjat wrote:
Hi there,

just need some kind of acknowledgement for my workflow :)

a naive approach would be:

  - extend the virtual disk
  - create a partition /var/postgresql (thats the folder under var right
now)
  - move the files to the new partition
  - hope it works :-P

So hope someone with experience in such scenario can give me a hint or too

You're working with virtual machines?  What I do is put /var/postgresql on
it's own virtual disk.  No growing the disk later then tacking on
partitions as the data grows.  If I need more space, add a new disk, copy
the data, unmount the old, mount the new.

Benefits I see of this approach:
No possible problems resulting from changing the "physical" disk size.
No leftover partitions in the middle of the disk.
After a migration, the old disk is still there for an easy rollback.
In the event of a problem with the server OS, or for testing, or for an
easy upgrade via re-install, you can detach the postgres data disk (or
copy it) and attach it to a new server OS install.

Tim.

--
Markus Rosjat    fon: +49 351 8107223    mail: ros...@ghweb.de

G+H Webservice GbR Gorzolla, Herrmann
Königsbrücker Str. 70, 01099 Dresden

http://www.ghweb.de
fon: +49 351 8107220   fax: +49 351 8107227

Bitte prüfen Sie, ob diese Mail wirklich ausgedruckt werden muss! Before you print it, think about your responsibility and commitment to the ENVIRONMENT