li...@wrant.com [li...@wrant.com] wrote:
> > http://www.pcengines.ch provide machine using from 5W for alix to 12W
> > for APU. These number are value under full load, not idle.
>
> You know, these x86 machines in their space saving enclosures make the
> perfect quiet 24/7 home (office) tabletop gateway server system.  Cool!
> Your other next best bet would be a mini-ITX quiet desk side disk cube.

The APU is very powerful for its size and power consumption. With a decent
SSD it works as an NVR with UniFi video. It's a very fast router with
OpenBSD, 300-600Mbps depending on settings and usage with -current, or
70kpps to 130kpps. I suspect that will go up as network stack modernization
continues. It's a great DHCP, DNS, NTP server for a network with 10,000+
end devices. And future models (at similar power consumption) are
going to be faster.

The APU2 is a 4 core system while the APU1 is 2 core. The APU1 is actually
marginally faster at "openssl speed", per-core. The APU2 has USB3, better
ethernet. It also has an integrated CPU/chipset, which practically translates
to lower heat.