Wed, 3 Aug 2016 21:02:20 +1000 <bytevolc...@safe-mail.net>
[...]
> It would be helpful if I could get the synaptics driver running first. ;)
> The problem is I am unsure what kind of driver my touchpad uses, and
> xinput reveals this:
>
> $ xinput
> + Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
> |   + Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave pointer  (2)]
> |   + /dev/wsmouse                              id=8    [slave pointer  (2)]
> |   + /dev/wsmouse1                             id=7    [slave pointer  (2)]
> + Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
>     + Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave keyboard (3)]
>     + /dev/wskbd                                id=6    [slave keyboard (3)]
>
> I feel as if the touchpad is on /dev/wsmouse0 because:
>
> $ dmesg | grep -i mouse
> wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
> wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0
> wsmouse1 detached
> wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0
>
> The USB mouse, I suspect, is my touch screen since it shows up as a
> Fujitsu touch panel as uhidev0 (likely an internal USB connection on
> the motherboard). So the touchpad therefore must be the PS/2 mouse
> (pms0) on wsmouse0.

Hi bytevolcano,

Try these commands and move each pointing device to see which id it is:

$ xinput test 4
$ xinput test 7
$ xinput test 8

On my laptop at the moment id=4 is the synergy pointer over network,
id=7 is the synaptics touchpad, and id=8 is the USB mouse (adaptor).

> Which is why it would be helpful if the "-configure" option was in X;
> with a complete config file I can tweak bits and pieces here and
> there.

Well, maybe try with the Xorg log file (verbose) for starters.. dunno.
Here, it ALL just worked out of the box for the laptop (N280 1005HAB).

Kind regards,
Anton