I'm setting up a second router that's going to sit next to an existing
one and become a redundant failover system. The current one is in
production, and I've been converting some of the existing LAN subnets on it
to use carp interfaces and making them primary and the new box
secondary. I also set up a carp interface on the WAN side and made the
new box primary for testing as that didn't exist before. That all
worked fine when I set it up by hand, but when I rebooted the new box,
the old box stayed primary for everything including the WAN interface,
which I tracked down to the carp demote counter, which ended up at 2 on
the new box after the reboot:

bash-4.3# ifconfig -g carp
carp: carp demote count 2

After I manually decreased the demote counter by 2 back to 0 the WAN
interface master switched back to the new box.

I'm not sure what's doing that at boot? I am running ospfd on the box,
but I don't have any demote statements in my configuration. I'm also
running npppd, but I don't see anything about that and carp demotion.
What else might be setting carp demotion values?

Thanks...