On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 08:37:54PM +0200, Peter Janos wrote:

> use S for extras security at the expense of performance. Use other options
> only if you know what you are doing and have specific needs.
> BTW, ssh and sshd enable S by themselves.
> -Otto

Some background on the current state of affairs:

S enables CJG and reduces the cache size to zero. Especially G and a
disabling of the cache are somewhat expensive.

If you insist, I'd say just C and J are pretty good too and not as
expensive as the full S. And C will get better with the diff I've sent
ot to tech@

Note that during the years, we have made improvements to malloc and
its options. We will continue to do so, don't quote mails from years
ago as a fact.