On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 07:25:11 -0600
Chris Bennett <chrisbenn...@bennettconstruction.us> wrote:

> I also notice that Thinkpads and Toughbooks seem to be the preferred
> choices for a cheaper laptop. I need a newer laptop too, so I will
> look into those on ebay.
>
> Thanks
> Chris Bennett

Toughbooks, when new, are definitely not cheap. Even when second-hand,
they are probably a little more expensive than their Thinkpad
counterparts. OpenBSD has a habit of working very well on older
ThinkPads.

Not that it's a bad thing though, you do get what you pay for. The
price difference is significant though, and boils down to the fact that
one brand is a solid, rugged machine built for field use, and how a
laptop should be anyway, and the other brand is a cheap Chinese
product, which relies upon shoddy and questionable quality control and
business practices.

For a second-hand Toughbook to be very cheap, it is usually almost a
decade old. However, a new Toughbook CF-31 will work around 90% well
with OpenBSD, though I am not sure about the optional GPS or HSPA modem.